This recipe is adapted from ‘Baking with Tropical Fruits’ by Melinda Lim
Makes 12 Raisin Cupcakes with Lychee (Sugarless) – I replaced 200 g castor sugar with 3 tbsp honey
- 1 can of lychee, drained and chopped, reserve the liquid
- 220 g (7.5 oz) cake flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 200 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 tbsp honey OR 130 g (4.5 oz) castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 20 tbsp reserved lychee water
- 180 g raisins OR Sunmaid Natural California Raisins 6Sx30G
- Drain the lychees and cut into small pieces, set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, set aside.
- Line a 12-cupcake pan with cupcake liners, set aside.
- Cream butter and honey (OR sugar) in a bowl by hand or an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract and beat on medium speed for about 30 seconds.
- Add in the eggs and beat on medium speed till it is incorporated.
- Turn the speed to low and gradually add the sifted flour mixture.
- Mix until no trace of flour is left.
- Slowly add in 20 tbsp (or lesser) lychee water and mix.
- Fold in the raisins and diced lychee.
- Scoop into cupcake liners about three-quarters full.
- Bake in oven at 180 C for 20 – 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.