This recipe is adapted from ‘The Food of Korea‘
Makes 1 10 cm wide round pancake
- 1 cup (200 g) cake flour
- 3/4 cup (185 ml) water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (OPTIONAL)
- 1 tsp salt
- 250 g kimchi
- 150 g pea sprouts (you can also use carrot or green onions)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Combine the flour, egg (optional), salt, stiring it to make a smooth, thin batter.
- Stir in the kimchi and pea sprouts, and set aside.
***Note: In making Korean pancake, the batter should just cover and coat the ingredients. You have too much batter if the ingredients are swimming in the batter.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet
- When moderately hot, add a ladleful of batter.
- Add in more batter until it forms a thin 10 cm round pancake.
- Cook for 2 minutes or till it turns golden brown underneath.
- Flip over to the other side and cook till light brown.
- Repeat until all the batter and mixture is used up.
- Serve hot with the Soy and Vinegar Dip (Refer to the below recipe) or chilli sauce.
Recipe: Soy and Vinegar Dip
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp fine chopped garlic
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp grounded black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and set aside.